Wednesday, April 29, 2009

That was a year?

I could shop today. My year is up.

In spare moments over the past few days I have been wondering what next? I don't want to return to shopping as usual. That would seem a waste. Reading Judith Levine makes me realize how easy my project was so my protestant hair shirt side tells me--do more, make it more stringent, don't buy anything but food. But that was her project and probably lacks point for me, other than the intrinsic attraction of seeing oneself as wearing a hair shirt.

If the point of not shopping is to become more attentive to what one does and does not needs, then I think I have already done that. (Hence the name change to immaterial girl). I have discovered that I need to buy books. Buying Spanish books was my one big failure. And I need books for work. And once in awhile, I just need a book before the library has it. Until most books start to be available electronically, I'm going to buy books. But I don't need to buy the newspaper. It's ok to read one's news late. I would like to start buying a couple of magazines that I support ideologically. But I can live without the rest.

I need to buy either socks or a darning needle and some wool. I need a decent pair of jeans, though "need" perhaps may be a strong word there. It is very easy to buy shirts, jackets, coats at the Sally Ann or VV Boutique, but not jeans--or really any pants. Work pants I expect I could get a a consignment store, though I would like to get one decent pair before Fall 2010 when I have to teach again. But jeans--the staple of my wardrobe--don't tend to survive the wearing process.

I want to be able to buy presents for children. I missed that. Christmas was ok shopping second hand, but sometimes I want to just buy a kid something that they actually want. I figure since I have no kids to look after me when I am old, I had best suck up to the nieces and nephews, so I am bucking for favourite aunt status.

I would like to be able to buy some music--maybe even an ipod. That seems like a big step.

I need a pair of dress shoes. One well chosen pair would last me the rest of my life.

Chris needs things--desperately.

So, I am going to do a bit of shopping. Three pairs of socks, maybe a pair of jeans. Lots of books for work. A birthday present for Kim. A darning needle and some thread. And I am not going to hold Chris hostage to my choices. But I do want, overall, to keep going. A year is not enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you continue blogging. Your reflection on your own consumer habits has helped me reflect on mine. If you keep reflecting, so will I...

immaterial girl said...

I plan to keep reflecting.