Sunday, May 11, 2008

May 11 2008

The second week has gone much better than the first. The only thing I have bought in the last 6 days that I can't eat, drink or smoke, is toilet paper.

I think I have come up with a principle on how I will count things as consumable (I can buy) versus non-consumable (I can't). For something to be consumable at least two things need to be true of it: it can't be used by someone else when one is done with it (newspapers can be, toilet paper can't); and there are not resuable alternatives (diapers and paper towels have reusable alternatives, toilet paper, at least for me, does not). I think this definition works for me because it means I should be able to borrow or acquire second hand anything that counts as a non-consumable on it, which was my original plan. I can see, though, that tampons are destined to be my fail point since they don't count as consumable (there are alternatives) yet the alternatives for me are either painful (the keeper) or unpalatable (the rags).

What I like about this project is how aware it is making me of our (my) tendency to buy what we fancy instead of making do. And, I look forward to the yoghurt flower pots.

1 comment:

margaret said...

What about sponges, or as Michelle said, the Diva Cup, which is made of silicone instead of rubber and might be more comfortable.

Of course then there is the question of whether or not you can buy it because it's not consumable. I think in this case, buying the non-consumable is the lesser of two evils.