Monday, August 11, 2008

more iceland

It is strangely liberating not shopping while travelling--no spending time looking for token gifts that most people don't want anyway and no time searching for the perfect memento. Though a book would have been nice. The postcard problem was solved by using things like the back of my conference nametag or the paper napkin ring from the banquet, though it would be rather nice to have pictures.

I went back looking for the perfect pair of shoes that I had seen on my first day and they are much less perfect than I had recalled.

Found the second hand stores--not nearly as good as in Canada. Could it be that the Icelanders don't buy and throw away things quite as readily as we do?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I think Icelanders suffer from desperately keeping up with the Jones', so maybe they haven't developed the same trade in vintage and second-hand goods that we have in North America. They couldn't bear to be seen with anything 1st generation when the latest is available.