Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dukan diet day 3

I think I have lost a pound, the nausea has passed and the boredom is setting in.

Last night we lacked the energy to cook anything fancy from the Dukan book so we fried chopped tofu, garlic, shallots and eggs whites and put steamed shrimp on top and then squeezed some lime juice on. It felt surprisingly like a substantial meal, though we need to work on the tofu flavour and maybe add whole eggs.

Today thus far has seen two failed attempts at creativity.

I had the brilliant idea of making tea with cardamom and a cinnamon stick, leaving it overnight and adding it to a tofu/yoghurt smoothie. Result: overly thin smoothie with no improved taste over adding the spices directly. Tonight I will try soaking the spices in some warm milk.

Pre-Dukan diet--smoked mussels, cream cheese and crackers, not a bad appetizer in a pinch. My idea for a Dukan diet version--smoked mussels with the oil washed off and a dab of fat free cream cheese. Truly awful!

Tonight, steak served with steamed shrimp with lime and pepper as a celebration meal in honour of our first wedding anniversary. I have cooked steak three times in my life previously, ruined it every time. The worst was when I was looking after a woman with Huntington's Chorea whose son had bought her a steak for a treat. It was so tough by the time I finished with it, that when she tried to eat it, her false teeth shot out of her mouth and skittered across the kitchen floor. I had to wash them off and put them back in. The other two failures were less spectacular, though equally inedible.

No comments: